Monday, November 13, 2006

There are things that are difficult to do.

My mother is 84, and has started failing in mind and body over the past few months. She is now unable to look after herself, and is in hospital attached to a g-tube, which gives her nourishment through her stomach.

Her mind, once very sharp, now tends to wander. She is under the impression that she will be able to go home to her apartment very soon, but the doctors have said that she will be unable to do this.

I am now in the position of having to take over her affairs, and find a good nursing home that will look after her.

I've had to write to her sister in Scotland and explain all of this to her, so that she'll know what I am planning to do.

I hate like anything doing it, because I know that she dearly would love to be back in her apartment with her cat.

Trouble is, she lives in an apartment building that is inhabited by senior citizens, some of whom are handicapped in various ways - some cannot drive, one is legally blind, others have heart conditions. If my mum ever got into trouble it would be difficult for others to come to her help.

It is not going to be fun explaining what I have to do - I don't want to have to do it, but I must.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home